|

From Harrods in London will remove the monument to Princess Diana and Dodi al-Fayed

Mohammed al-Fayed at the opening ceremony of the monument to Princess Diana and his son Dodi in 2005

© REUTERS

LONDON, January 13. /TASS/. Harrods Department store in London announced plans to remove from the store a bronze sculptural group with the image of Princess Diana and Dodi al-Fayed. On Saturday said broadcasting Corporation Bi-bi-si.

The monument, opened in 2005, will be returned to its rightful owner Egyptian billionaire Mohammed al Fayed, whose son died with Diana in a 1997 car crash in Paris. A monument to the “Innocent victims” depicts a pair of lovers who dance holding hands and looking into each other’s eyes. Al-Fayed claimed that the couple’s death was not an accident, despite the fact that the investigation has excluded the version of murder .

The administration of the Department explained its decision by the fact that the sons of Princess Diana, the Duke of Cambridge William and his brother Prince Harry last year announced the intention to establish in London near Kensington Palace new monument in memory of his mother. “We believe that the time has come to return this monument to Mr al Fayed and to invite the public to pay tribute to (Princess) at the Palace,” said Harrods managing Director Michael ward.

The monument, however, will continue to remain in place, while Imperial College London coordinates the details of the procedure for his transfer. In 2010, al Fayed sold the store for £1.5 billion ($2 billion) by the Qatari Royal family. In 2000, on the order of “Harrods” severed commercial ties with the Royal family.

Leave a comment

Confirm that you are not a bot - select a man with raised hand: